When you attempt to run a game or software, you may encounter the following error message: “The program cannot start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer.” Reinstall the program to resolve this issue”. MSVCP140.dll, on the other hand, is included in the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 package. All apps written in Visual C++ require the above package to execute.
What is Windows 10’s MSVCP140.dll file?
Numerous PC games and applications rely on the Visual C++ Redistributable package (& MSVCP140.dll file), and without it, they will fail to start and display an error message such as “The code execution cannot proceed due to the absence of MSVCP140.dll.” This issue may be resolved by reinstalling the application”.
The aforementioned problem messages indicate that the MSVCP140.dll file is missing from your computer and that you should install or re-install it. There is a possibility that the MSVCP140.dll file is corrupted or missing from your computer. When you install Microsoft C++ Runtime Library, the MSVCP140.dll file is automatically installed. Which means it is installed automatically when Windows is installed.
Various error messages relating to the absence of MSVCP140.dll:
- The software cannot start due to a missing msvcp140.dll file on your computer.
- The code execution cannot continue due to the absence of MSVCP140.dll.
- An error occurred while starting msvcp140.dll.
- Unable to locate ‘MSVCP140.dll’. Reinstall this application if necessary.
- C:WindowsSYSTEM32MSVCP140.dll is either incompatible with Windows or includes an error.
If you have a corrupted or missing MSVCP140.dll file, do not panic; there is a simple cure for this problem. You can re-download and install the Visual C++ Redistributable package from Microsoft (which includes the MSVCP140.dll file). Anyway, without further ado, let’s see How to Fix MSVCP140.dll is Missing on Windows 10 using the guide below.
MSVCP140.dll is Missing in Windows 10 – How to Fix
Create a restore point in case something goes wrong.
Take care not to download the MSVCP140.dll file from third-party websites, since the file may contain malicious code or viruses. Always download the whole Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package. However, you can obtain the particular MSVCP140.dll file from a third-party website, but this comes with a risk.
Method 1: Install the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package
- To obtain the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package, navigate to this Microsoft page and click the download button.
- On the following screen, based on your system architecture, choose either the 64-bit or 32-bit version of the file.
- After downloading the file, double-click vc redist.x64.exe or vc redist.x32.exe and follow the on-screen prompts to install the Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable package.
- Restart your computer to apply the changes.
- After restarting the computer, attempt to launch the program or application that was causing the MSVCP140.dll is missing error and see if you are able to resolve the issue.
Method 2: Execute System File Checker and DISM
- Launch the Command Prompt. This step can be completed by searching for ‘cmd’ and pressing Enter.
- Now, in the cmd window, input the following and press enter:
- Wait for the preceding process to complete and then restart your computer.
- Again, open cmd and enter the following commands one by one:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Allow the DISM command to execute and wait for it to complete.
- Reboot your computer to apply the changes and check if you were able to resolve the MSVCP140.dll is Missing in Windows 10 issue.
Method 3: Reinstall the affected program
- From the Start Menu search bar, type “control panel” and click on it to launch the Control Panel.
- Under Programs, click “Uninstall a program.”
- Select Uninstall from the context menu of the software that was generating the MSVCP140.dll missing problem.
- To confirm your action and uninstall that specific program, click Yes.
- Once the removal process is complete, restart your computer to apply the changes.
- After restarting, check to see if you can resolve MSVCP140.dll is Missing in Windows 10; if not, continue.
Method 4: Start Windows Update
- Select Update & Security by pressing Windows Key + I.
- Select Windows Update from the left-hand menu.
- Now, click the “Check for updates” button to see if any updates are available.
- If there are any pending updates, select Download & Install updates.
- After downloading the updates, install them to bring your Windows system up to date.
That concludes our article on How to Fix MSVCP140.dll is Missing in Windows 10, however, if you have any further questions about this topic, feel free to post them in the comments area below.